This book by William Faulkner is an American classic, but it sure is weird. I read this book in High School and I thought it was even weirder. Well, here's my take on it. So it takes place in an imaginary town in like Mississippi or somewhere back in around 1912 or something. I'm kind of making stuff up, sorry. There is a poor family who have 4 boys and one girl and the mother is dying. Each chapter is written by a different person, whether it be one of the children or a neighbor who is involved. So she dies and they have to travel a few towns away to bury her because she wanted to be buried with her family. So they do but it's all messed up because they try to cross the river and the bridge is flooded, and then they end up burning down a barn, and they are just so messed up. The little boy thinks his mother is a fish, one of the sons has an abusive yet loving relationship with his horse, and the daughter is pregnant and tries to have an abortion but ends us getting raped. The dad is just a little selfish and so is the main character. It causes you to think about people's outward appearance and what their true intentions and desires are when all is said and done. The dad ends up getting married like 5 days after his wife dies. And he gets dentures with the money the daughter was going to spend on her abortion. So yeah, I ruined the book for y'all but, believe me, it's weird. The only interesting thing is the writing style. It's written using their slang and wrong pronunciations. And it's more free-thought form than proper English. It's very American. Hence the reason I have to read it for my upcoming American Literature class. Okay, over and out.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
As I Lay Dying
This book by William Faulkner is an American classic, but it sure is weird. I read this book in High School and I thought it was even weirder. Well, here's my take on it. So it takes place in an imaginary town in like Mississippi or somewhere back in around 1912 or something. I'm kind of making stuff up, sorry. There is a poor family who have 4 boys and one girl and the mother is dying. Each chapter is written by a different person, whether it be one of the children or a neighbor who is involved. So she dies and they have to travel a few towns away to bury her because she wanted to be buried with her family. So they do but it's all messed up because they try to cross the river and the bridge is flooded, and then they end up burning down a barn, and they are just so messed up. The little boy thinks his mother is a fish, one of the sons has an abusive yet loving relationship with his horse, and the daughter is pregnant and tries to have an abortion but ends us getting raped. The dad is just a little selfish and so is the main character. It causes you to think about people's outward appearance and what their true intentions and desires are when all is said and done. The dad ends up getting married like 5 days after his wife dies. And he gets dentures with the money the daughter was going to spend on her abortion. So yeah, I ruined the book for y'all but, believe me, it's weird. The only interesting thing is the writing style. It's written using their slang and wrong pronunciations. And it's more free-thought form than proper English. It's very American. Hence the reason I have to read it for my upcoming American Literature class. Okay, over and out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment